[Sca-cooks] food in season and how to cook it (was OLD thread)

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Jun 13 12:24:21 PDT 2001

Hmmm.  Nice topic.

Coming into season:

chiles, tomatoes, watermelon, okra, peaches.  I suppose peaches would have
been the only thing, period wise, that would have been available to me.
Dunno if peach cobbler is period, but I would have made a peach pie or peach
tart of some sort.

When did brown sugar come into use?  Personally, I like a bowl of sliced
peaches, swimming in cream, sprinkled with brown sugar and just a hint of
cinnamon.  I really only like honey as a sweetener on peaches when I'm
having it in oatmeal.  Ideally, though, the peaches should be sweet enough
on their own.

Madelina