[Sca-cooks] Re: Llibre de Coch

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:10:56 PDT 2001

>The ancestor of this dish used a fresh curd cheese called mató, and was not
>a cooked dish. Mató does not taste salty (like a cottage cheese) or sour
>(like chevre), and is whiter and fatter than ricotta. Now, it is almost
>exclusively made with cow milk, but in the 14th and 15th century was made
>from sheep or goat milk or a blend of the two. The closest substitute is
>going to be ricotta.
>
>The recipe wants you to take the curds just at the point they form, while
>they are still soft.

Thomas, is this the recipe you shared with the Windmasters' Hill cooks guild
a few years ago and that I served at my first feast?  I don't have the
printout/notes made at the time, but since I had access to fresh, un-aged
goats milk cheese, I used that and I highly recommend it to anyone that can
do so.

Bonne