[Sca-cooks] Re: Llibre de Coch

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 20 12:42:22 PDT 2001

>>The ancestor of this dish used a fresh curd cheese called mató, and was
not

(snip)

>Thomas, is this the recipe you shared with the Windmasters' Hill cooks
guild
>a few years ago and that I served at my first feast?  I don't have the
>printout/notes made at the time, but since I had access to fresh, un-aged
>goats milk cheese, I used that and I highly recommend it to anyone that can
>do so.

>Bonne

Yes. While I was in Barcelona, back in February, I had the opportunity to
taste the real thing, and speak with an artisinal cheesemaker in the
Boqueria. The recipe I shared with your group a couple of years ago called
for either fresh chevre (for menyar d'angels for high table) or an
economical substitute of strained, rinsed cottage cheese for the masses.
Having tasted the real thing, I think a course-grained, drained ricotta is
the closest economical substitute without making it yourself. The real thing
is a little fattier than ricotta, I think because it is a blended milk
cheese.

I still think chevre is spectacular when you are making the dish on a small
scale, but for the masses, I'd go with tubs of ricotta.

Thomas Longshanks