[Sca-cooks] OT Weaving and knitting sites

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Wed Jun 20 06:32:59 PDT 2001

> Misha asked:
> > Got any weaving or knitting sites. I'm trying to learn how
> to so I can make
> > stuff for myself and maybe sell something in the future.

Aha! something I can help with. Misha, these are the ones I have bookmarked
as being especially for beginners.

http://weaving.about.com/homegarden/weaving/mbody.htm

The weaving page is a good place to start surfing *and* she has articles on
the site itself for beginners.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffnstasia/spinlinks.htm

This is mostly links to other pages, but she has some good how-to
information of her own as well.

Then, once you are hooked....Bwahahahahahaha..... we have

http://interweave.com publishes SpinOff - a magazine devoted to handspinners
and knitters and weavers and other nifty fiber folks. 8-) They may also be
the ones who do Handwoven magazine, but I'm not sure.

http://www.weavespindye.org is the Handweavers Guild of America site. Not
overly helpful right now, but if you get really interested, you'll want to
look them up.

Just a few. there are a *lot* of sites out there. For such a low tech hobby,
there seem to be quite a few folks who play with yarn *and* computers. There
are also Yahoo Groups devoted to spinning and weaving.

Since I'm nattering on anyway, like Ruadh, I'm not really cooking this
summer, but I have a coverlet on the loom, a cross-stitch project for my son
in my carry bag, a quilt on the sewing machine and just took a ribbon off
the inkle. Oh and the spinning wheel is humming along as I'm getting more
into dying.

Oh and there's my obligatory food reference. Food safe dyes? Anyone run
across any foods that have colored aprons, towels or the like? I will not
use anything that can't be eaten (I have a 14 month old) and have been
playing in the kitchen lately with the obvious ones, like beet juice.