[Sca-cooks] 13th century bread

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Jun 20 18:30:39 PDT 2001

>So, folks far more knowledgable than I, what's the story? Is the al-baghdadi
>another name for the writings of al awwam, or something completely
>different? And has anyone ever tried making bread with ground grape seeds or
>cistus seeds? (If it helps, cistus is apparently also known as a rock rose.
>Yes, I had to look it up ...)

Kylie,

If you come across any Rock Rose essence in your travels could you let me know?
I want to do the Cow's Meat recipe for Anthimus.  An ingredient asked for is
"costi" which has been translated by some as Costmary, but my gut feeling is
that the ingredient is Costus, Rock Rose essence.

Also,  the A Soup for the Qan has an appendix (written by Charles Perry) on
Islamic Bread and Grain products which might help.  I could bring the book down
the next time I'm in Stormhold.

Drakey.