[Sca-cooks] 11th-12th century subleties

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jun 22 09:07:08 PDT 2001

Finnebhir asked:
> Where can I find some info on early(11-12th cen) on baking-pastries,
> specifically subleties?

There's not much available at all for the 11th or 12th centuries.

For later times, you might check this file in the FOOD-SWEETS
section of the Florilegium:
sotelties-msg    (199K) 11/ 1/00    Sotelties and Warners - decorated
food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sotelties-msg.html

If you are researching the 12th century specificially, you might
find Lainie's wonderful bibliographies which can be found in the
THE-12TH-CENTURY section of the Florilegium useful.

So, where is "Vanished Woods Shire"? Is there a particular story
behind the name? Why was this name chosen? These are the kinds of
stories I like to have for my placenames-msg files. Anyone with
such stories for SCA names I don't already have in my files, please
email me off list.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net