[Sca-cooks] RE: copper bowls / egg whites

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Fri Jun 22 09:26:51 PDT 2001

A buddy of mine took (don't laugh) a FunEd course on pies and the instructor
said that a clean old copper penny in the bowl would also help stiffen
whites. Since this was the same instructor who talked him into buying
branded "Pie Beads" instead of using dried beans like all of our grammas
did, I automatically am suspect; however, since it's a chemical reaction,
shouldn't it work?

I haven't bothered to try it as don't do stiff egg whites. My family prefers
cobblers and bettyes and dump cakes to fancier stuff like meringue. <Blush>
The closest I come is slightly beaten for folding into soufflés and the
like.