[Sca-cooks] RE: copper bowls / egg whites

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 22 09:54:30 PDT 2001

Jennifer Thompson wrote:

> A buddy of mine took (don't laugh) a FunEd course on pies and the instructor
> said that a clean old copper penny in the bowl would also help stiffen
> whites. Since this was the same instructor who talked him into buying
> branded "Pie Beads" instead of using dried beans like all of our grammas
> did, I automatically am suspect; however, since it's a chemical reaction,
> shouldn't it work?

Hmmmm. In that case, I wonder why nobody has marketed a copper whip? Or
have they?

> I haven't bothered to try it as don't do stiff egg whites. My family prefers
> cobblers and bettyes and dump cakes to fancier stuff like meringue. <Blush>
> The closest I come is slightly beaten for folding into soufflés and the
> like.

Hey, I developed quite a reputation as a purveyor of fancy foods in an
elegant setting when I used to use folded-out pages of The Weekly World
News as place mats. Everybody wanted to find out whose place mat had the
continuation of the story on the latest Elvis sighting, the latest
information on the elusive Bat Boy, Nancy Reagan's psychic, all that
stuff. Is not beating egg whites to stiff peaks going to bother me?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com