[Sca-cooks] tapenade, moreta, pesto

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 25 12:28:14 PDT 2001

Adamantius answered my question with:
> > So what is and isn't a "tapenade"? Do we have any period recipes or
> > other evidence for these in period?
>
> I'm not aware, offhand, of a period recipe for tapenade, but I can't
> think of any particular reason to think it wouldn't have been come up
> with, bearing in mind the variety of pesto-ish and other types of moreta
> that appear to have existed in period. Tapenade isn't especially chunky,
> though (nor should it be perfectly smooth), just a sort of
> purplish-black semi-emulsified sauce about as thick as, say, pesto.

There you go again. Answering simple questions with more fancy,
high-falutin' French? cooking terms. :-) What are us simple folk
supposed to do?

Ok, so what is a "moreta"?

And some recipes, especially period ones, for this moreta or
other pesto-ish things might be nice.

Stefan li Rous
(whose introduction to pesto was through the SCA but not at an
official event. It was from Don Alden at a get-together
after fighter practice.)