[Sca-cooks] Re: OT American copying

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:20:12 PDT 2001

>Hui! You must learn self-control, sampai. I trashed my reply to that
>statement after, oh, the fifth line or so. However, seeing as how I
>wasn't the only one to raise my eyebrows over it...

Heh, yeah, there were a couple of responses I'd written and
then decided it wasn't worth getting nasty over.

>Surely there are a bazillion areas in which American
>culture (sic) and our corporate structure have invaded Japan,
>just as there is a current fad in America for Japanese
>animation and related products.

As well as the Japanese copying our music, food, dress,technology,
manufacturing processes and sports.

>And it should be remembered that most of the allegedly copied
>animation found in America today is simply dubbed Japanese
>animation (read the credits), not an attempt to copy a
>Japanese style.

Or if you read the credits you then realize that a lot of the
"Japanese" animation was done in Korea.

>As for Iron Chef, I have no idea whether the concept of an
>American version is a proper example of the phenomenon Misha
>refers to, but it seems to me a bad idea. I think the fact that
>it is Japanese is actually part of the fun.

I agree with this. But I'm also willing to see how the Americans
will handle it. It could definately lose something in the translation
but I always get a little thrown when they bring in a Japanese
cook who is a master of a totally different cuisine. The American
version will most likely use actual examples of the culture. Not
that I don't consider the Japanese masters anything less than
amazing. I just don't totally discard the idea based on a single
news release.

>Adamantius

Gunthar