[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #232 - 17 msgs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 26 18:29:28 PDT 2001

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> Again, IIRC, the whole marinade is called "mojo criollo" or "Creole soak".
> In its most basic form it's sour orange juice, olive oil, and lots of
> garlic. You can get fancy by adding oregano, thyme and parsley.  It should
> be liquid rather than pasty.

I've just come back from dining at a Cuban restaurant, having ordered
what was allegedly Cuban Roast Pork, which turned out to be fresh ham,
pretty lightly rubbed with what might have been recaito (normally onion,
cilantro or its Big Brother, recau, and some lemon juice) or perhaps
even mojo criollo. I wasn't sure because I was thrown by the fact that
it arrived in rather a lot of a light-colored gravy. Topped with the
requisite sliced onion, though. Not bad at all, just not what I had expected.

> And Alban, that whole hamburger thing was just waaaaay off.  You've gone and
> reductio'd it all out of absurdum.  Look at it.  Poor thing's twitching and
> jerking.

Somewhere, somebody may have saved my little article on how to redact
for the politically correct, meat-eating, busy, fighting SCAdian
monarch. It must have appeared on this list a year or two ago. I took a
fictional beef stew recipe which called for beef, almond milk, maybe
some dried fruit, and, by mincing the meat to reduce cooking time and
enable portion control, eliminating the almond milk because it appeared
already in another dish and there was concern about allergies,
eliminating the dried fruit because, well, just because, we ended up
with a sauteed hamburger patty, served between two trenchers made from a
split manchet, and ultimately wrapped in disposable parchment with the
scribe's mark (a large stylized "M") so the king could eat and walk to a
chivalry meeting at the same time.

And you thought this was bad???

Adamantius
--