[Sca-cooks] European "hot dogs"

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jun 27 09:15:43 PDT 2001

Giano commented on fast food and McDonalds in Europe. Thanks,
Giano. I've never been to Europe and it's interesting to hear of
the differances there. I have a few questions:

> We have hot dogs (had them for a long
> time, in fact) along with lots of other home-grown
> fast foods (the German traditional variety is
> sausage with a slice of bread and mustard),

Is this on a single slice of bread, not a bun of some type?
Thick or thin sliced?

> but
> they are traditionally had at stalls or in
> cramped, tiny booths with a few standing tables.

These are small tables which are set high and they don't
have chair so you stand around them? I think I've seen these
here, but they certainly aren't popular.

> And BTW; the choice isn't really 'forced upon' any
> of us. Where I work I have the choice of getting,
> at around the same price and trouble, German
> sausage (bah!), Danish hot dogs (with relish,
> ketchup, mustard, pickles and roast onions - very
> good), hamburger (not bad), pizza, Chinese
> takeaway, and Doner Kebap, which (NOT hamburger!)
> is Germany's favorite convenience food.

Why do you like the Danish hot dogs better? Is the meat/sausage
different? Or is it just the extra additions? Generally here hot
dogs are a rather poor grade of meat, although there are some made
with better meat and sometimes you can get sausages instead of
"hot dogs".

So, what's a "Doner Kebap"? "Not a hamburger" still leaves a
lot of possibliities, even if you limit it to sandwiches that
still allows the strange, hardly edible things recently mentioned
here. :-)

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net