[Sca-cooks] European "hot dogs"

Wed Jun 27 11:15:11 PDT 2001

> > We have hot dogs (had them for a long
> > time, in fact) along with lots of other home-grown
> > fast foods (the German traditional variety is
> > sausage with a slice of bread and mustard),
>
> Is this on a single slice of bread, not a bun of some type?
> Thick or thin sliced?

When I was in Germany, it was knackwurst or bratwurst served on a brotchen
(small roll) with a small plastic cup of mustard for dipping the wurst.  We
usually got these from street vendors and ate them while wandering around
the marketplace.

> Why do you like the Danish hot dogs better? Is the meat/sausage
> different? Or is it just the extra additions? Generally here hot
> dogs are a rather poor grade of meat, although there are some made
> with better meat and sometimes you can get sausages instead of
> "hot dogs".

Danish meats, especially the luncheon meats and sausages, are some of the
best in Europe.

> So, what's a "Doner Kebap"? "Not a hamburger" still leaves a
> lot of possibliities, even if you limit it to sandwiches that
> still allows the strange, hardly edible things recently mentioned
> here. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan li Rous

Doner kebap is meat cooked on an Autodoner as gyros is.  Doner kebap is the
Turkish version of gyros and is usually made of lamb, where in the US gyros
is usually beef or a lamb and beef mixture.  I am given to understand, that
in Greece pork is often prepared in the same manner.

I was in Germany in the 60's and doner kebap was unknown.  I suspect it was
introduced into Germany in the late 70's and 80's when there was an influx
of Turkish workers.

Bear