[Sca-cooks] FYI - USDA squabs

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Wed Jun 27 09:49:12 PDT 2001

I received a directive at work the other day, and I thought that some of you
might be interested in it.

Starting the end of April,2001, the USDA is adding squabs to its list of
inspected poultry. Their definition of a squab is a pigeon, of either sex,
who has not yet flown.
Since we are now inspecting squab, and allowing it's export and import
in/from this country, It may be possible that squab will start showing up in
stores soon. I have no firm facts on when or if it will show up, but I have
a hunch that those on the coasts will see it before those of us in the
Mid-West.

If anyone does see USDA inspected squabs in the store, please let me know,
I'm courious on where these things are going to show up.

Beatrix of Tanet