[Sca-cooks] Need the wording for Garlic Jance

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Jun 1 14:07:11 PDT 2001

At 19:11 +0000 2001-06-01, Olwen the Odd wrote:
> >To pick the version from the BibliothËque Nationale manuscript:
> >
> >"Jance aux aulx.  BroiÈs gingembre, aux, almendes, desfaites de bon
> >verjus."
> >
> >My translation:
> >
> >"Crush ginger, garlic and almonds, steep in good verjuice, [and boil]."
> >
> >Thorvald
>
> How much of each?

The original text doesn't say.  Christine said she has made it before,
so perhaps she has some amounts she can post.

I've never made it, but I'd start my experiments with a small bell of
ginger, four large cloves of garlic, a cup of ground almonds, and two
cups of verjuice.  Soak an hour or so, then reduce to a good thickness.

  I'll be interested to see if that guess is anywhere close to what
  Christine says works.

Thorvald