[Sca-cooks] A Question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 3 15:17:46 PDT 2001

Daniel Raoul asked:
> Does anyone know of a mail order site to get kimshi from?

No. But I could just imagine the HazMat (Hazardous Materials) forms
and the ecological impact statements that would have to be filled out.
And if you crossed international borders with it, whether it violated
the current laws on poison gas weapons. :-)

I did see a few jars or cans of it in a local Vietmanese/Oriental
Market I explored yesterday.

In that market I also found jars of *powdered* galingale! (galingua).
Lots of unusual pickled vegetables, too. I had no idea how I would
use most of them, though. Also shelves and shelves of different soy
sauces and fish sauces. Also, a number of fish "sauces" which still
had small fish or shrimp in them. I'm not sure if the fish is
supposed to disolve further over time and you use the combination or
whether the sauce and fish are used seperately or whether the liquid
was just a perservative (despite the label) and you use the fish
only?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net