[Sca-cooks] A Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 4 11:14:54 PDT 2001

Christine Seelye-King wrote:

> I was at the Farmer's Market on Friday, and the Exec. Chef was walking
> around with a German baker who was looking for rice starch (not flour, the
> extracted starch) to make a version of Kimchee with.  She said it made it
> very special.  News to me.
> Christianna

Me, too. I don't suppose she said "küche", and you heard "kim chee", huh?

I suppose anything's possible, though. There are a lot of kinds of kim
chee that most Westerners don't think of when they hear those words, and
when Westerners look in the markets what they tend to find is a pickle
based on either sio toy/Tientsin/Napa cabbage (which is not now, never
was, and never will be bok toy), or some kind of white radish, or a mix
of the above.

Similarly, when some people hear "pickle" in English there is usually an
immediate assumption of cucumbers being involved, and conscious thought
may be needed to absorb a different concept. Maybe there _is_ a form
that uses rice starch.

My only source of major curiosity is that, once you've removed all the
starch from rice flour, there is, for practical purposes, nothing left
(at least if it is flour made from polished white rice), what is the
difference between rice flour and rice starch?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com