[Sca-cooks] A Question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 11:24:40 PDT 2001

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> My only source of major curiosity is that, once
> you've removed all the
> starch from rice flour, there is, for practical
> purposes, nothing left
> (at least if it is flour made from polished white
> rice), what is the
> difference between rice flour and rice starch?
>
> Adamantius

Rice starch is obtained during the rice cooking
process in much the same way some potato starch is
obtained.  The liquid (redolent with extracted
starches) is reduced under vacuum to remove the water
content, leaving behind the starchy residue.  Since it
is pre-gelatinized, it makes an excellent food
thickener, and will do the job in either a hot or cold
liquid.

Rice flour, on the other hand, is finely ground rice.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

(The best rice starch I have found comes in a white
box with blue arabic writing on it.  I cannot,
however, remember the brand name.  I want to say it is
Mahatma, but I'm probably wrong.)

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.