[Sca-cooks] Vehling's Apicius

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 16:46:44 PDT 2001

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Similarly,
> while Apicius and
> various of his other translators refer to this
> recipe including spelt
> grits, Vehling's recipe calls for pate a choux
> instead. What he's doing
> is filtering Apicius's recipes through
> late-nineteenth/early-twentieth
> century haute cuisine.

And that's precisely what I was hoping to avoid...
Gods...GODS!  Why did I not take Latin whilst in
University?!  I would much rather read the original,
rather than have to figure out what was and was not
included in it...

> In short, it is good fod, but not necessarily
> historically accurate.

The book does have some rather tasty looking recipes
in it, I will say that much.  Not at all a waste of
resources.  And this, at least, will give me a solid
base from which to examine the other translations, as
well.

> I've found Flower and Rosenbaum to be the best
> overall translation of
> Apicius, Latin on one side and English on the other,
> fill in your own
> cooking times, temps, and some ingredient
> interpretations, with the
> exception of a very few recipes which they describe
> as having cooked
> with these such-and-such quantities, etc.

Do you know if this is a literal word-for-word
translation, then?  That is what I am looking for.  I
can fill in the blanks, so long as they aren't already
filled in incorrectly.......

> > Balthazar of Blackmoor
> >
> > =====
> > Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.
>
> I have an apron that says this, with attributions...
> 	"Let them fear me, so long as they obey me."
> 		Tiberius Claudius Nero, second emperor of Rome
>
> 	"Let them hate me, so long as they fear me."
> 		Gaius Lucius Germanicus Caligula, third emperor of
> Rome

To tell the truth, I got this from a Legend of the
Five Rings playing card... I always assumed it was
from Machiavelli's 'The Prince'.  Now I'll have to go
back and read that one again....

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.