[Sca-cooks] Vehling's Apicius

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 4 16:40:20 PDT 2001

>Hello List,
>
>Just thought I'd mention that I  got my copy of
>Vehling's Apicius from Poison Pen Press.  Great
>condition, and speedy delivery.  Thanks, Devra.
>
>Is it just me, or does it seem like this book, though
>it was written many centuries before some of the other
>popular period cookbooks, contains more precise
>information, measurements, and technical direction
>than most of the books written later in period?  Or,
>is this a product of an astute and intuitive
>translator?

I'm not an expert on Apicius myself, but the opinion of those who are
seems to be that it is the product of a translator who didn't know
the language very well and felt free to interpret the recipes into
what he thought they ought to have said. I believe the Flowers and
Rosenbaum translation is supposed to be the reliable one.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/