[Sca-cooks] Vehling's Apicius

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 19:10:06 PDT 2001

jugglethis at yahoo.com writes:

<< I have not had an opportunity to read any
 other translations.  Comments, anyone?

 Balthazar of Blackmoor >>

Read othjer translations would be my suggestion. Vehling added MUCH material
based on his own knowledge of cookery from his own time period. Rosenbaum's
is the best translation although Master Llewellyn was translating it and may
have compl,eted that project. Oftentimes Vehling uses ingredients that he
thought would work better or purposely used thingslike phaseolus beans and
beetroot where the obvious ingredients were vigna beans and beet greens.
Vehling is a good read if you truly like more fiction than fact. :-)

Ras