[Sca-cooks] Summer starts WHEN?

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Jun 4 22:32:46 PDT 2001

> I have to agree here. Whatever local standards may apply as to what
> constitutes the first cold or hot day, and the use of terms like
> "winter-like weather" (and this can easily lead to this type of
> confusion), I've never heard a meteorological-type actually refer to
> seasons changing at any time other than the solstices and equinoxes.
>
> Adamantius
> --

Visit Australia, Adamantius, and you will.

In our colonial formative years, the seasons were changed from the
Solstice/Equinox to the first of the month. It's got something to do with
the date of changing from Summer to Winter uniforms for the soldiery.

So the 1st of June is officially the start of our winter (and it's already
starting to get a bit nippy - we've had minimums of 6C lately <insert
laughter at people who live in REAL cold here>, and even my kids are
starting to wear jumpers sometimes...).

Glenda.