[Sca-cooks] Summer starts WHEN?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 4 20:36:10 PDT 2001

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/4/2001 9:35:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> melcnewt at netins.net writes:
>
> > Always has been that way as far as weathermen are concerned. December 1
> >  starts winter, March 1 Spring, June 1 summer, and September 1 Autumn.
>
> The weather folks in VA and FL don't agree with you I'm afraid... They say
> that the seasons start with the solstices/equinoxes. A friend at University
> of Arizona who studied atmospheric sciences laughed when I asked him about
> the idea that the seasons start on anything other than those dates...

I have to agree here. Whatever local standards may apply as to what
constitutes the first cold or hot day, and the use of terms like
"winter-like weather" (and this can easily lead to this type of
confusion), I've never heard a meteorological-type actually refer to
seasons changing at any time other than the solstices and equinoxes.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com