[Sca-cooks] pate

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 07:25:35 PDT 2001

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor (jokingly, I hope) said:
> > I'm going to start calling meatloaf "Country Style
> > Beef Pate",
>
> Would this really apply though? I thought pates were
> always very
> finely ground, a paste. Whereas the meatloaf I've
> had was coarser,
> like crumbled hamburger although smushed together.

Technically, what we call meatloaf today is really
nothing more than a sloppy pate.  Some would call it
"country style", although that usually implies the
presence of pork (which I always use in my own
meatloaf).  You might also call it a daube, although
that is usually very coarse pieces of meat bound by
aspic.

> Also meatloaf
> has something in it like bread crumbs, right? Does
> pate?

Most pates have some kind of binder like egg whites,
though there are also those which use a panade, which
is little more than bread soaked in milk. So, I guess
your breadcrumbs could be considered a panade in some
bizarre fashion.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.