[Sca-cooks] polenta

Tue Jun 5 08:31:10 PDT 2001

Scrapple covers a multitude of sins.  Nominally, it is a spiced mixture of
pork and cornmeal, but I've seen recipes which use barley, oats, wheat and
buckwheat and beef and chicken as well.  For vegetarians, there is one that
leaves out the meat but uses onions and apples.

A number of years ago, I got introduced to an Oklahoma variety of scrapple
made from pork sausage and yellow grits that were simply patted into shape
by hand and not refrigerated.  I was told when times were lean it was
cornmeal and meat drippings.

Enjoy your Amish scrapple, it is supposed to be the original of the dish.

Bear