[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Apicius...

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Tue Jun 5 09:36:29 PDT 2001

you might try http://www.half.com as well

Madelina

-----Original Message-----
From: Elaine Koogler [mailto:ekoogler at chesapeake.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 11:23 AM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Speaking of Apicius...

Occasionally, you can get a copy of Flowers and Rosenbaum from used-book
dealers.  I got one...I think it may have been through either e-Bay or
ecampus used books.  I'm not sure, but I do know that it was fairly
pricey...though in excellent condition.

Kiri

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Vehling's version of De Re Coquinara is the most readily available and >
the lowest priced, but considered among the poorest translations and > the
redacted recipes have been altered to Vehling's ideas on food.  I
> have it, but don't recommend it.
>
> The Flower and Rosenbaum edition is considered to be one of the best
> translations, but it was originally published in 1958, and I don't believe
> it is in print.
>
> The Edwards edition is currently available from Acanthus Books.
>
> There is also a translation by Milham, whose more recent Platina is
> referenced here upon occasion.  It was published in 1969 by a German
> publisher and is now out of print.  I haven't seen this work, but if it is
> even close to her Platina, it will be a masterful translation.
>
> While Giacosa's "A Taste of Ancient Rome" isn't a translation of
> Apicius, it has many Apician recipes and recipes from a number of
> sources.  I find it very useful when dealing with Roman cookery.
>
> I would also recommend browsing:
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html  > to
see what has been said about these works.