[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Tue Jun 5 13:00:50 PDT 2001

> Muskadine - ?
>  (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Prince-bisket
> bread... and a spoonfull of Muskadine,...
>
> Muscadine grapes or raisins????  I know that there is a kind
> of wine made from
> that sort of grapes...maybe that's what they're talking about.

What is currently called muscadine in the US is made from New World grapes
and is also referred to as scuppernong wine.  The muscadine mentioned here
is probably a wine of muscat grapes.  French Muscadet from the Loire Valley
is such a wine.

> Must
>
> I think we did discuss this about a year ago, and I believe
> that it is the
> pre-wine unfermented grape mixture.  I think another name for
> it could be
> "sappa"...and I have a bottle of it waiting for me to use it
> to make that
> lovely red mustard from Platina, thanks to Mistress Hauviette!
>
> Kiri

Must can be the unfermented or fermenting grape mixture.  The Romans used it
as bread leavening.

Must can also be musk.

Precise meaning will most likely depend on context.

Bear