[Sca-cooks] Nasty beer! (was re: polenta)

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jun 6 07:55:19 PDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Elaine Koogler wrote:
> >
> > [ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
> > I won't go into the absolutely awful beers that were available in Papua New
> > Guinea...some of the worst in the world, I'm sure.  My former husband would
> > drink just about anything (his favorite was Budweiser...note:  I said former!!),
> > but even he drew the line at some of these!
>
> I seem to recall reading in the New York Times some years ago about
> sorghum beer available commercially in South Africa, and sold in waxed
> paper cartons like milk [is in parts of the U.S.].
>
> As for Budweiser, I agree you can't get much more abominable than the
> Milwaukee variety, which is not to be confused with Budweiser-Budwar, an
> old and rather fine pilsener whose style criteria was never based on a
> desire to sell the product to female factory workers during the Second
> World War, the single greatest contributor to perceptions of bad quality
> in American beers.

According to a beer documentary that the spouse was watching (sometime
last year, I think), the whole cheap diluted pilsener thing started during
Prohibition, when the bootleggers wanted to make the beer go farther, and
thus get them more $$$. People got used to the diluted beer, so when
Prohibition was lifted, that's what they wanted.

Or so the documentary said.

Personally I like taste and character in my beer. Lindeman's Framboise,
for instance. I can honestly say I have never gotten drunk on fine
lambic--at $6 a bottle I can't afford it. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam