[Sca-cooks] Nasty beer! (was re: polenta)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 5 19:16:48 PDT 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> [ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
> I won't go into the absolutely awful beers that were available in Papua New
> Guinea...some of the worst in the world, I'm sure.  My former husband would
> drink just about anything (his favorite was Budweiser...note:  I said former!!),
> but even he drew the line at some of these!

I seem to recall reading in the New York Times some years ago about
sorghum beer available commercially in South Africa, and sold in waxed
paper cartons like milk [is in parts of the U.S.].

As for Budweiser, I agree you can't get much more abominable than the
Milwaukee variety, which is not to be confused with Budweiser-Budwar, an
old and rather fine pilsener whose style criteria was never based on a
desire to sell the product to female factory workers during the Second
World War, the single greatest contributor to perceptions of bad quality
in American beers.

On the other hand, I am reminded of my friend Master Ateno, who, while
he was in the U.S. Coast Guard, inspected a German ship and ended up
being invited to lunch by the captain. It happened to be Oktoberfest
season, and Eric asked the captain about the beer supply on board,
specifically whether the rumors he had heard about special Oktoberfest
beer being brought on board for the season, were true. The captain
assured him that it was, as he would soon see, and moments later Eric
was handed a brimming stein of the captain's favorite brew. "Boodweiser!
De king of beerce!"

He claims he drank it in order to prevent an international incident...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com