[Sca-cooks] OTOTOTOT: the po' boy sandwich

James R. May robmay at home.com
Wed Jun 6 11:06:42 PDT 2001

At 10:08 AM 6/6/01 -0400, you wrote: (Heavily snipped)
>  I had occasion to sample a po' boy sandwich from the Grand
>Central Oyster Bar (one of the great seafood-worshipping temples of the
>western world) yesterday.
>
>I was wondering if perhaps some of this list's Louisiana or Chesapeake
>Bay po'-boy aficionados might be prepared to submit their sense of how
>well my experience jibes with their versions of local orthodoxy.
>
>So, what goes into a po'-boy where you are?
>
>Adamantius

         I just checked through the cook books from the National Oyster
Cook-off held in St. Mary's county, MD. each year ( that would be Baroness
Kiri's Barony ). In 1990, the 11th annual cook-off, they had an Oyster cake
sandwich. (Made like a crab cake.)  In 1993, the 14th, they had a Maryland
Muffuletta, made in french rolls.  In 1999, the 20th, there is an Olympian
Oyster Focaccia Supper Bread, the oysters are baked into the top of the
bread. In a total of six different cook books there were no oyster po' boy
recipes. I think I now have to go buy some oysters for dinner.

Jehan Yves