[Sca-cooks] online glossary

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jun 6 10:09:43 PDT 2001

At 15:45 +0200 2001-06-06, Cindy M. Renfrow wrote:
> >At 18:24 +0200 2001-06-05, Cindy M. Renfrow wrote:
> >
> >> hurdle -
> >> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Prince-bisket
> >> bread... and dry them againe upon a hurdle of Wicker...
> >
> >Originally a fence section: think weaving, uprights (warp) with long
> >flexible sticks woven between them, alternating above and below (weft).
> >Presumably here made in a smaller size as a bread rack.
>
> Like this, or more closely woven, do you think?
> http://www.godecookery.com/tacuin/tacuin42.htm

Okay, I've never seen a bread-cooling hurdle, just the real life
fence kind.  The fence kind are closely woven, the long flexible
wands (weft) touching each other.  The pasta drying rack
illustrated in Tacuinum isn't woven at all.

There's an illustration of a fence hurdle at

http://www.fsmarketplace.co.uk/ubik.dll/store/positivelyperfect/item/-aWQ9OSZzZXNzaW9uPSUyRDE--_a

though the one's I've seen in real life are more, shall we say,
rustic.

Thorvald