[Sca-cooks] Substitutions for Bread in sauces??

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 7 07:02:15 PDT 2001

You might consider using spelt bread for your breadcrumbs.  It is likely to
be closer to the kind of bread used in period (spelt is an ancient variety
of wheat), and depending on your folk's allergies, it might be fine.  (Spelt
has a more water-soluble gluten, making it easier to digest for folks with
gluten intolerance, but not for everyone.  It is still wheat and it does
still have gluten, so it depends on the severity of their restrictions).
You might also try some other types of sauces, the Barbe Robert would be
good on lamb, and I know the Garlic Jance would be (of course, anytime you
combine garlic and lamb, I'm happy ;)   Just don't use three sauces that all
have the same thickeners.  I would not advise changing the recipes with
other types of starches, there are plenty of sauce recipes out there.
Christianna