[Sca-cooks] happy dance: viandier

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Jun 7 16:53:45 PDT 2001

At 18:50 +0200 2001-06-07, UlfR wrote:
> There I was, poking around in a used bookstore[1], and suddenly a yellow
> book jumped off the shelf and stuck to my hand. I had to buy it in order
> to be able to leave. I do wonder what I will do with a copy of Scullys
> "The Viandier of Taillevent"?  I guess I'll just have to read it.
>
> /UlfR

Regarding T. Scully's edition of "Le Viandier de Taillevent":

There is a significant omission in the French transcriptions, with
a corresponding error in the English translation.

Recipe 60, page 111, second line for VAT, reads in part:

... mettez en rost, de vinaigre et ...

and should read (according to Pichon and Vicaire):

... mettez en rost, et bacinez a la cuillier, en tournant le rost,
    de vinaigre et ...

Recipe 60, page 286, English translation, reads in part:

... put it to roast _basting_ _it_ with vinegar and ...

and should read something like:

... put it to roast, and baste it with a spoon, while turning the
    roast, with vinegar and ...

Thorvald