[Sca-cooks] hair sieve

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 19:50:49 PDT 2001

On 7 Jun 01,, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I ran across "hair sieve" in a recipe out of Robert de Nola, Libro de Coxina
> (Spanish 1525) for Poluora De Duque--Duke's Powder and wondering what a hair
> sieve was I went into my search engine and among other things came up with
> this from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.  BYW Cindy is hair sieve in the
> glossery?   Olwen

The Spanish word is "cedazo".  It is defined as a hoop with a
cloth/fabric/woven stuff covering one side.  The RAE says that the
word used to be "cerdazo", because it was originally made with
"cerdas" (bristles, especially hog's bristles).

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net