[Sca-cooks] hair sieve

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 06:21:35 PDT 2001

>   BYW Cindy is hair sieve in the
> >glossery?   Olwen
>
>It is now, thanks!  Do you have the sentence (and the original word for
>hair sieve) from de Nola?  Anybody have an illustration?
>
>BTW, the embryonic glossary is now online at
>http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/glossary.html
>

>Regards,
>
>Cindy

Poluora De Duque - Dukes Powder
Cinnamon, half an ounce; ginger, half and ounce; cloves, on eighth; sugar,
one pound; all this well ground and strained thrugh a hair sieve so that it
should be quite delicate and subtle, or at least just like the one for the
sauces.

And there is this from Digby;
White metheglin of my Lady Hungerford: which is exceedingly praised.
Take your Honey, and mix it with fair water, until the Honey be quite
dissolved. If it will bear an Egge to be above the liquor, the breadth of a
groat, it is strong enough; if not, put more Honey to it, till it be so
strong; Then boil it, till it be clearly and well skimmed; Then put in one
good handful of Strawberry-leaves, and half a handful of violet leaves; and
half as much Sorrel: a Douzen tops of Rosemary; four of five tops of
Baulme-leaves: a handful of Harts-tongue, and a handful of Liver-worth; a
little Thyme, and a little Rad-sage; Let it boil about an hour; then put it
into a Woodden Vessel, where let it stand, till it be quite cold; Then put
it into the Barrel; Then take half an Ounce of Cloves, as much Nutmeg; four
of five Races of Ginger; bruise it, and put it into a fine bag, with a stone
to make it sink, that it may hang below the middle: Then stop it very close.
The Herbs and Spices are in proportion for six gallons.

Since my Lady Hungerford sent me this Receipt, she sent me word, that she
now useth (and liketh better) to make the Decoction of Herbs before you put
the Honey to it. This Proportion of Herbs is to make six Gallons of
Decoction, so that you may take eight of nine Gallons of water. When you
have drawn out in o your water, all the vertue of the Herbs, throw them
away, and take the clear Decoction (leaving the settlings) and when it is
Lukewarm, Dissolve your proportion of Honey in it. After it is well
dissolved and laved with strong Arms or woodden Instruments, like Battle
doors or Scoops, boil it gently, till you have taken away all the scum; then
make an end of well boyling it, about an hour in all. Then pour it into a
wooden vessel, and let it stand till it be cold. Then pour the clear through
a Sieve of hair, ceasing pouring when you come to the foul thick sertling.
Tun the clear into your vessel, (without Barm) and stop it up close, with
the Spices in it, till you perceive by the hissing that it begins to work.
Then give it some little vent, else the Barrel would break. When it is at
the end of the working, stop it up close. She useth to make it at the end of
Summer, when she takes up her honey, and begins to drink it in Lent. But it
will be better if you defer piercing it till next Winter. When part of the
Barrel is drunk, she botteleth the rest, which maketh it quicker and better.
You clear the Decoction from the herbs by a Hair-sieve.