[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #149 - 14 msgs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 8 11:07:30 PDT 2001

Jane Sitton wrote:

> But Fritos have been made since 1932, so where did they get the idea for
> them?
>
> Madelina

I'm not sure where they got the idea for them (although I suspect they
are an offshoot of some of the research that went into things like
Kellog's Corn Flakes), but Frito's corn ships aren't really the same
deal as tortilla chips; one if a fried chip of corn dough, presumably
some kinda masa, the other is first cooked as a tortilla, then cut up
and fried.

So, Vicente, which is more culturally obscene -- the concept of tortilla
chips and salsa, or my all-time favorite down-putter and pet peeve, the
concept of crunchy noodles and duck sauce appearing on Chinese
restaurant tables? As you say, we could extend this logic and say,
"Mmmmmm! Oyster crackers and ketchup!" I suppose with chips and salsa it
is for some reason easier to pretend.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy