Standard test was Re: [Sca-cooks] Iceland & Scotland - what to get?

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 9 20:09:53 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> In a message dated 6/8/01 10:20:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,grizly at mindspring.com writes:

> They don't tell you how to teach so much as tell what is and isn't being
> learned . . . assessment tolls and not policy making tools.

Have you seen the curriculum of high schools in Virginia? They give us this little sheet every year that has corresponding SOL numbers and teachers have to go by that sheet to teach. >>>>>

What you seem to be unhappy about and railing against is the policy and decisions made . . . . not the tests.  The test is an assessment tool.  The test didn't decide what the teacher teaches.  I was in high school once and have felt the way you describe about test taking and cirricula.  It requires a sentient being to decide what is being done in a classroom and being given to students to learn.  Believe me when I suggest humbly that effective change can only be made by directing energy and feedback to people who make the decisions and not the piece of paper that lands in fromt of you on testing day.

niccolo