[Sca-cooks] Finding Recipes for spices

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 10 20:38:33 PDT 2001

Hi,

As others have said, some of the medieval cookbooks available today have
ingredient index entries that list all the dishes that use a particular
ingredient, including spices. Not all of the cookbooks provide this kind of
index, but some do. That is about as close to what you want as you are
likely to find.

To narrow your search:
- For using sumac, focus on Middle Eastern, Persian, Lebanese or Turkish
cuisines.
- For pine nuts, focus on Mediterranean cuisines, like Italian or Spanish,
and to a lesser degree, French.
- You will find galingale and grains of paradise mentioned in every Western
European cuisine, so take your pick.
- For powder fort, specifically, check English and French sources. The
Spanish equivalent from the 14th to 16th centuries was often referred to as
'salsa fina' - generally a strong blend of spices including ginger, cloves,
cinnamon, pepper and other warm spices, like powder fort.

Good luck,
Thomas Longshanks