[Sca-cooks] Finding Recipes for spices

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sun Jun 10 16:58:05 PDT 2001

At 16:43 -0400 2001-06-10, Hank wrote:

> I wish to find recipes that use some of the more interesting spices that I am acquiring but as far as I know there is no method of cross referencing by spice used.
> Can anyone suggest an approach?

Usually only by looking within specific cookbooks.  My translation of
Viandier indexes all mentions of ingredients (including spices), which
then takes you to the page (though not to the specific recipe) where
the spice is used.

Many cookbooks, unfortunately, do not provide such an index by
ingredient.

>     The spices in question are:
>         sumac, nigella, pine nuts, galengale (got that to do the galengale mead), grains of paradise and poudre forte.

Pine nuts (probably as a paste), galingale, and grains of paradise are
used in recipes in Viandier.  If 'poudre forte' is the same as 'spice
powder', which is my belief, then you would also find poudre forte used
in recipes in Viandier.

Thorvald