[Sca-cooks] Finding Recipes for spices

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 16:40:38 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/10/01 4:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steinfeld at tqci.net writes:

<< I wish to find recipes that use some of the more interesting spices that I
am acquiring but as far as I know there is no method of cross referencing by
spice used.  Can anyone suggest an approach?>>

Formost I would suggest reading cookbooks. :-) You don't indicate whether you
are looking for  period recipes or not but if you are and don't have any
sources there are lierally hundreds of recipes in the Flori-thingy.  Other
on-line sources would be Cindy Renfrow's site and Master Huen's Boke of Gode
Cookery, as well as Cariadoc's on-line Miscellany.

If you are looking for modern, 'traditional' or ethnic recipes most of the
spices you mentioned can be found in the corpus of middle eastern recipes
(sumac and nigella, for instance). India has produced recipes using nigella
while Thai recipes  occasionally mention galengal. Grains of paradise and
galengal are also used in modern gin production.

<<< poudre forte. >>

This mixture would have been used  in many period recipes available through
the on-line sources I mentioned above  as well as in numerous  'period'
cookery and household manuals.

Ras