[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:25:14 PDT 2001

>Depending on where you are in Greece (or
>elsewhere), what your accent is like, and whether
>you spend a lot of time talking to Americans, it
>is pronounced variously as JY-ro, JEE-ro,
>GEE-ro, or YEE-ro. (Which latter is really more
>like ghyro, with a very soft "g", than like yeero.)

>HTH
>
>Adamantius

Although fascinating as usual, Master A, I don't think
this answers the original question. Basically, which
came first, the gyro or the hero? And are they somehow
related in lexicon or did the names spawn independantly
of each other. So far there has been no difintive answer.

Gunthar

But I like talking about both sandwiches.