[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Mon Jun 11 10:17:16 PDT 2001

back in 1968, during a short stay in Philly, Pa; I learnt that subs were
called "heroes" locally. Not so back in New England.   Three months later I
moved to Greece, where on going to a local "hot-dog" kiosk, I learnt that
the name for my fave "sub" was soulavki [ easy on the sauce please] . To me,
that was the same as asking for a 'Lamb' gyro today. The Greeks didn't call
it by the tool that made it. Sort-a like "Crescent" wrench or adjustable
spanner; Vice-Grip or...