[Sca-cooks] scotch and hot pads

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 11 09:39:24 PDT 2001

Lann of the fuzzy memory commented:
> I'm curious because I'm making some. My (basic black, thank you) mittens
> have lost all their protective wadding at the most used points. At the same
> time, I received some wool that when spun up is so scratchy as to be
> unusable for most purposes. So I've knit it into squares which I will then
> felt and cover with heat and fire resistant, but not particularly absorbent,
> wool.

I'm curious, why are you knitting the wool first and then felting it?
Why not simply felt it into pads and then cover it with wool cloth? Or
is this simply because the wool was already spun into yarn when you
got it?

It's an interesting question on the hand protection. They did stuff
gambesons with wool and silk batting. We also have records of fisherman
using felted mittons.

For those interested in finding out more about felting of cloth or
wool fleece, check this file in the Florilegium:
felting-msg       (50K) 11/16/99    Felting and fulling of cloth.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/felting-msg.html

I have attended interesting classes on the subject at Pennsic and
Gulf Wars.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net