[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Jun 11 18:53:57 PDT 2001

>Okay, on an off-but-at-least-moderately-food-related-note, can people
>name (for them) "the" sandwich? The One, True sandwich from which
>deviation is considered heresy?
Standard #1: the protypical sandwich of peanut butter (plain, not
crunchy) and jelly (grape, of course, and Welch's), on white bread
(Pepperidge Farm, the type they now called Original but when I
was growing up there was only the one type).

Standard #2: bologna, American cheese, mayonnaise (Hellman's, not
that awful substandard and just plain icky Other Stuff), a bit of
French's plain yellow mustard to taste, and perhaps a bit of lettuce.
Usually eaten with whatever potato chips are around, but not
always.

Please note that my tastes in sandwiches have improved considerably
over the years: the bologna is now fresh-from-the-deli kosher
bologna (not Oscar Meyer), and I no longer eat PB&J, since my tastebuds
have decided the J is way too sweet and leaves weird aftertastes.

And I wonder why the French, who are so marvelous at other culinary
items, are so lousy at sandwiches. Croque Monsieur, indeed! Harrumph!

<grin>

Alban