[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jun 12 05:55:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

[snip]

> Okay, on an off-but-at-least-moderately-food-related-note, can people
> name (for them) "the" sandwich? The One, True sandwich from which
> deviation is considered heresy?

I have two:

The Reuben is the One True Sandwich. The leanest corned beef possible,
heated and layered evenly; drain and rinse the sauerkraut, mix it with
mayonnaise and heat it up. Pumpernickel, although caraway rye is a
tolerable second choice. Toast the bread, and put the sandwich,
open-faced, under the broiler to melt the cheese. Accompany with a
half-sour or really crispy kosher dill pickle, Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda,
and potato chips. Russian and thousand island dressings do not belong on a
reuben sandwich. Ever ever ever ever ever.

Bologna on white bread with American cheese and yellow mustard, no white
goo.[I will eat white goo if it is intimately involved with tuna or
chicken, or if it is a turkey sandwich with lettuce on white bread.]
Sometimes with lettuce if I'm feeling flippant. Never tomato. Potato
chips or Fritos to accompany. Bakery white bread, or Brownberry. Milk or
lemonade to drink, since I can't drink grape Kool-Aid anymore.

Then there's what I refer to as "white trash cheese and crackers", which
is American slices on Saltines. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam