[Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jun 12 06:06:24 PDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Kiri commented:
> > Oh.  I make that all the time, but never heard it called that.  I usually
> > throw in some marjoram and a few poppy seeds to jazz it up a little....but
> > it's the same thing!  We call it Tuna Casserole!
>
> That is not an uncommon dish here, either. And again, we've always
> called it Tuna Casserole, too. That's why I didn't recognise
> "Tuna Hotdish". I've never cooked this myself. I think I'm going
> to have to get Mom's recipe.

The term 'hotdish' is a northern Midwest (basically Minnesota and a bit of
Wisconsin, possibly the Dakotas) term. Basically, if you hear 'hotdish',
think 'casserole', and you'll have no problems. "Tater-tot Hotdish" still
makes me cringe, though.

Oh, and if you are really Minnesotan, macaroni is served either with
cheese or combined with tomato and hamburger in a hotdish. "Pasta" is a
fancified affectation. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam