[Sca-cooks] RE: pot holders

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jun 12 07:29:49 PDT 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

on potholders in period....

we need to be careful that we're not creating a need that didnt exhist....

we have lots of pictures of medieval people cooking. None of them seem to
use potholders. They appear to use long paddles or spoons, and pots are
hung over the fire on gizmos that let you swing them on and off.

I cook over a fire all the time, and use my rake, an L shaped metal toy to
lift pots on and off and lift lids. We do have wool potholders (wool scraps
sewn into a thick pad) too, but I'm finding that the rake does most of what
I need, and my hand inside my heavy linen apron can do the rest.

I'd love to see pictorial evidence of a potholder, though! they can be
awfully handy sometimes....

--AM