[Sca-cooks] Metric calories?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Jun 12 13:13:53 PDT 2001

>Could they be working in kilocalories, in which case an example would be
>that a glass of whole milk would be something like .1 kc?

A glass of whole milk is somewhere around 12 kcal, IIRC. You Americans are
using kilocalories too, we all just call them calories (I've seen them
called big Calories too).

I wonder if Steinn may be confusing (kilo)calories with kilojoules (kj or
kJ) the energy units which we are trying to switch too, not very
successfully, but they are printed on all labels as well as calories.
Sticking to milk, the one liter carton in my fridge is labelled:

Orka (energy for you non-Icelandic speaking people)  280 kJ/67 kkal.

So a glass of milk is around 65 kJ - or, mine is, don't know about the
standard American glass of milk.

Nanna