[Sca-cooks] Metric calories?

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 12 15:52:35 PDT 2001

You aren't hallucinating. On some packaging in Europe, you will see energy
values expressed in kilocalories (kcal, what we refer to as calories), or in
kilojoules (kJ). One calorie is equivalent to about 4.186 kilojoules. If the
energy figures seem to be quadrupled, you are probably seeing food energy
values expressed as kilojoules.

Thomas Longshanks (who forgets the calories and enjoys the food!)