[Sca-cooks] Re: standard tests

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 12 12:51:21 PDT 2001

I'm slightly dyslexic...I have something called mixed dominance.  What it means
is that I'm right handed, but my left eye is the dominant eye!  It really plays
havoc when I'm doing anything that involves aim.  What I'm leading to here is
that, in an education course when I was in college, I was told by a perfectly
serious professor that "...all people who have mixed dominance are either
mentally deficient or emotionally disturbed..."  When I raised my hand and told
him that I not only had completed my Bachelor's degree, but that I was a fully
certified teacher in the public school system,  and that I have mixed dominance,
he just sort of stood there with a stupid look on his face!  These are the kind
of pre-conceived notions that get passed on by those who read them somewhere and
pass them on with no research to back them up.  Kind of like that notion that
heavy spicing was used in medieval food to cover up the taste of spoiled meat.

Kiri